Monday, March 08, 2010

Vintage

So a few days ago my and my friend went to Subway for lunch, and while waiting for our subs, he was singing tu hi meri shab hai from Gangster, and my random mind being what it is, I came up with my own version:

tu hi mere sub hai subah mein tu bhi dinner hai mera
tu hi mera lunch hai 6inch hai tu hi mere footlong
tu bani mere liye main hoon tera barbaad
kaise rahega bhala hoke tu mujhse judaa
o o o o ho ho, ohohohohhh


...

So, I've been listening to Tu hi haqiqat khwaab tu on repeat the past week. It occurred to me that I've been devouring this album in repetitive cycles since it released last year, and I am still not done with it. First Dil Ibadat, then O Meri Jaan, then Tu hi haqiqat, then Tum Mile, then O meri jaan again, then dil ibadat, and on and on it went, weeks of one song on repeat!

Recently, I wondered aloud why it's so infrequent to get such an album, with amazing lyrics, amazing music, and that hard to find amazing feel.

Takes me back (yes, flashback!) to all those years ago when MT started, and when we were considering music reviews and Naveed asked me to write something about the latest album to see what we could come up with, Gangster. I guess it was at that point of time that music in hindi movies were moving into its newer avatar, and funny thing was I only liked tu hi meri shab hai from all those songs, and I didn't think they were worthy of liking, not to mention loving.

But there we go, Gangster is on my 'love list', one of those albums wherein every song is a favourite. There aren't all that many that can boast it, but yeah. No, I am not going to write about each and everyone that does make it. But wonder why there are so few that bring out the raw beauty of music and love..