Friday, May 07, 2010

Collage-N Part 7

Last night on the train, I looked at my fellow train-takers and, a thought, a question, occurred to me. There was the couple in the corner to my right, looking tired amid their piercings and tattoos, holding hands in silence. To the left of them, a youngish oldish black girl holding onto an envelope and slowly opening it and reading it, all the while looking confused, sad, hopeful. Then a trio of giggly young Chinese girls, dabbing on their lipgloss and gossiping and teasing each other. Just a quick snapshot of a few of those around me.

And the thought that occurred to me (not for the first time, admittedly) was that each of these people had a hope of love in their hearts. In the midst of all their separate lives, all these different people brought here in one place for whatever reasons, they believe, have believed, or will believe, that there is one person out there in their world for them. How? Why?