Friday, July 05, 2013

Serendipity

Today was one of those days where, strangely enough, I found myself somewhat bored. My first inclination in starting this post was then to write how naturally it would have made perfect sense, thus, to pay a visit to this blog and put the figurative pen to the paper.

I didn't. Well before this, I mean. But yeah, I don't normally get bored. I have always believed that it is impossible to be bored unless you're a boring person. Then I did some unconscious thinking - meaning I didn't really think this out point by point, but the mind made the leap subconsciously; I figured that I chose to be bored. I was sitting at my laptop, bored. Why was I sitting? I could so easily could have gotten up and gone to do something else - the many things I have been doing while not around here - but rather, I somewhat possessively decided to persist in sitting at my laptop, expecting that I would find things to do.

Now one might ask why I was so insistent in doing that. Well it's not so philosophical an answer: my internet had been AWOL the past couple of days (no pay-your-bills jokes please, they are stale and unfortunately already stated, no less). It is one thing to avoid something as your own choice, it is something entirely else when it is being denied to you. You want it more.

So there you have it. For a couple of hours, I sat at my laptop, wondering where all the people I normally communicate with were. After a few minutes of actually contacting some, my bum decided it had enough of sitting, and so I closed the laptop and went off to do something else.

One of these things is the reason why I have chosen to rise from the undead: I was leaning against my windowsill and just looking out at the summer day (this is one of my favourite things to do).  I just randomly decided to take a peek outside, and at that very second I glimpsed a bird (one of a pair) getting tangled in this weird string thingy that extends from the rooftop above my window across the street to the big tree on the other side. I don't know what this string is, my best guess would be that belonging to an escaping kite. The bird thankfully flapped its wings a few times, mid-air, and got free, and carried on. But it gave me reason to pause a second longer, in thought.

I could have not gone to the window that very second - I could have paused a bit longer on the stairs going up, or been busy with my kitten a moment longer. The possibilities are endless, and yet for that split second that event happened, I was able to witness it. A second sooner, a second later, I wouldn't have. And that made me realize how many different ways we are blessed with rarities we don't realize every day.

10 comments:

  1. fred joined you for a few minutes before he went off to buy some meat n vegetables :P

    i have a bunch of wires at the back of my house in the alley .. ive spent many moments of time watching from my deck, no not birds, but squirrels chasing one another or just frolicking by themselves :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, he did unexpectedly. :D

      I put all organic waste out in my compost in the backyard, it's a Snow White and 7 Dwarves themed heaven back there :P

      Delete
  2. DID YOU JUST SAY YOU ARE BORED! *dramatic head turn 3 times with dramatic music (indian drama style)*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just decided to dramatize that because out of all people YOU Miss-Only-Boring-People-Get-Bored got bored. Okies *breathes* now I feel somewhat relieved after rubbing that in your face. SEE! Just because you are bored once in a while doesn't mean you are boring!

      P.S - serendipity is another one of my favourite words

      Delete
    2. Yes, but as I explained, I chose to be bored by doing nothing good hence I chose to be boring for that amount of time.

      Delete
  3. I came across a cache of old photos
    And invitations to teenage parties
    "Dress in white" one said, with quotations
    From someone's wife, a famous writer
    In the nineteen-twenties
    When you're young you find inspiration
    In anyone who's ever gone
    And opened up a closing door
    She said: "We were never feeling bored

    'Cause we were never being boring
    We had too much time to find for ourselves
    And we were never being boring
    We dressed up and fought, then thought: "Make amends"
    And we were never holding back or worried that
    Time would come to an end

    When I went I left from the station
    With a haversack and some trepidation
    Someone said: "If you're not careful
    You'll have nothing left and nothing to care for
    In the nineteen-seventies"
    But I sat back and looking forward
    My shoes were high and I had spots
    I'd bolted through a closing door
    I would never find myself feeling bored

    'Cause we were never being boring
    We had too much time to find for ourselves
    And we were never being boring
    We dressed up and fought, then thought: "Make amends"
    And we were never holding back or worried that
    Time would come to an end
    We were always hoping that, looking back
    You could always rely on a friend

    Now I sit with different faces
    In rented rooms and foreign places
    All the people I was kissing
    Some are here and some are missing
    In the nineteen-nineties
    I never dreamt that I would get to be
    The creature that I always meant to be
    But I thought in spite of dreams
    You'd be sitting somewhere here with me

    'Cause we were never being boring
    We had too much time to find for ourselves
    And we were never being boring
    We dressed up and fought, then thought: "Make amends"
    And we were never holding back or worried that
    Time would come to an end
    We were always hoping that, looking back
    You could always rely on a friend

    And we were never being boring
    We had too much time to find for ourselves
    And we were never being boring
    We dressed up and fought, then thought: "Make amends"
    And we were never being boring
    We were never being bored
    'Cause we were never being boring
    We were never being

    Pet Shop Boys - Being Boring

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh pet shop boys ..memories of the 80s and growing up ... its a its a its a sin :D

      Delete
  4. Oh my God. I absolutely love this, mostly because of the chorus =] ahh. It's so perfect. :D

    ReplyDelete