Sunday, November 11, 2012

Sometimes


‘Sometimes’ is one of my favourite words.  I’ve noticed this from the thoughts I have, the words I write. Perhaps you’ve noticed it as well. I’m starting this out without knowing where I’m going to end up – what you’re seeing is the process of thought.

I am not sure why ‘sometimes’ is a favourite word.  Sometimes is not all the time, occasionally, from time to time. My use of the word expresses variability. We already know things happen sometimes, and not all the time. Is the use of the word redundant?

Some of the time – In living itself we are faced with what’s usually a duality of thought. Duality is just the very basis of course, it can break apart into many sectors, and as such, we explore and experience a multitude of thoughts and opinions, alternating, deviating, and changing into others. Similarly the situations we find ourselves in fluctuate.

I think the word itself represents one of the key aspects of life which renders life itself so magnificent – the way it differentiates. A constancy that would divest life itself of its beauty. Imagine the implications of the weather always, for example, 20 degrees Celsius with blue skies and partly cloudy. Or the constancy of the state of a person’s mind if they were only just always ‘okay’ – the very essence of variability translates into some of the most fundamental keys into human interaction.

Sometimes; this means not all the time. There are times when we may be more open to a certain idea than others, and there may be some instances that prove to be the exception to the rule.  

Sometimes we are happy, sometimes we are sad – this is something that we all know; yet the universality of this knowledge does not mean we should take it for granted, does it? When we can break the whole down to the very basics, sometimes this allows us to better accept the whole.

Sometimes we are having the very worst day, and another day after, the absence of those negative factors which contributed to that horrible day allows us to appreciate what would otherwise constitute a rather boring day. Relativity.

I have always, usually, used this relativity to come to terms with a certain experience; a comparison of an appreciation for happiness after experiencing sad. Sometimes, I find myself thinking to myself, in wonder and gratitude:  all the sorrows of yesterday have made today all the more worth it all.