Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Aankhon Se Padhke Tujhe Dil Left Side Pe Maine Likha

Day Two! Yay, I'm workin' it. I'm not sure if  I should be saying things like that. Yesterday I was told I shouldn't be saying things like "I have a thing for potatoes." Sigh. Why must everything that once was innocent become tainted by innuendos and double entendres?

Not that I'm goodytwoshoeing the phenomenon. I definitely am as guilty of it as any other person. But still.

This reminds of me a phase wherein I was resisting the changes in Indian cinema. I fussed about how everything was sexually oriented, and those good ol' days of sweet innocent love like that depicted in Dilwale Dulhani Le Jayenge were just a sigh of things we no longer have. And movies like Murder, Jism, blah  (insert movie that you remember the body parts but not the face here) blah blah were coming out. More making out, especially with the introduction of Emran Hashmi, and more sexual scenes or plots. And, holy pakora, these scenes weren't even that good! Pshh.

Once, I was assigned the task of reviewing the music for Gangster. Yup, way back in 2006, when the movie released. I heard the album and declared it blah. Yes, I actually did.  I did however, grudgingly, say that "Tu hi meri shab hai" was okayish if anything on the album was. True story. This was another shift in indian cinema - more so in the music genre, style and themes. Now, when I recall this episode of my life, I wonder what was wrong with me. I love that soundtrack to bits. And okayish? That one song is, and remains, one of my absolute favourites.

I'm always stuck in between two different directions. That ingrained sense to resist changes, because we've become so habituated to...what we are used to (duh). To go against that new fad, that new trend, because you want to stick with what you know is good and also to rebel, because well, that's how I am.

Then that other direction, dipping the toe into the water, testing the new and experiencing the never-experienced. To catch hold of the butterfly before anyone else and run with it.

I like being different. I admit it, loud and clear. I like being the one to take the first step and remember I was the one to take it. I like being the one to not jump, and remember I was the one who didn't jump and live to tell it. I'm the kind of person who resists people telling her what to do. I'm the type who goes right if you tell go left.

I can't really explain why I am. And I realize it's not always a good thing. I like being a leader, but I believe a good leader is the one who can, and will, follow. In the same way, while I tend to argue just for arguments sake, I do have to remind myself that - as much as I would like to be - I am not always right.

I am going to give you 60 seconds now so that you may awaken from fainting, or get up off the floor from falling off your chair.  Yes I said it. IQ is not always right.